Wednesday, September 4, 2019

A Perfect Day

some moments I miss the consumption
the hollow contracted sternum to heart
the encompassing obsession of
you

or

is it the miss of the velvet mantle I wove myself
of your hands and bold honey words...
replete with all I know to be true;

fireflies & willow trees
Kipling
Cather & Fitzgerald
whisky & wildfires
marshmallows
rivers
clean sheets & poetry

the rich fullness of everything

does it matter?
this ache...

more than likely
this is life

smelling of petricor & night

luxurious emptiness cradled in heat
and all I know to be true
red bird's bones & love songs

tell me, is there any more left?

lingering in the corner pocket of summer's grass
I loved you the first time I saw you
sticky delight of waning twilight
wild we found it - tamed it became
as we held to convention's fable
pressed in startling intimacy to the bind
oh!
letting go is easy when the heart is home

now as the blue jay's bones become my own