Friday, April 28, 2023

Index of First Lines from Pope to Brooke

I am his Highness' Dog at Kew 117 

I am the family face

I am: yet what I am no one cares or knows 

I give you the end of the golden string

I have desired to go 

I have eaten 

I have no name 

I have seen flowers come to stony places 

I hear a sudden cry of pain!

I imagine this midnight's moment's forest 

I know what the caged bird feels, alas! 

i like my body when it is with your body 

I lost the love of heaven above 

I met a traveller from an antique land 

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky 

I never saw a wild thing 

I remember, I remember 22 

I said to Heart, "How goes it?" Heart replies 70 

I said to my companion, this is walking 

I saw a stable low and very bare 

I strove for none, for none was worth my strife

I took my life and threw it on the skip 62

i wandered lonely as a cloud 

I went down to the river 

I went to the hazel wood 

I will arise and go now 

I wish I loved the Human Race 

If any question why we died 103 

If I should die, think only this of me 






“Index” from BEST LOVED POEMS: edited by Neil Philip.
Published by Little, Brown and Company 2000.
Copyright © 2000 by individual poems as noted specifically in the acknowledgments p.223-4

All rights reserved.