Wednesday, April 17, 2019

...from the hackberry tree

There 
she sits 
within that box removed from weather & the weight of sky 
illuminated 
by an energy that I feel in wires strewn from pole to box to pole again 
about this street this town this place 
curious how much she thinks 
not knowing how observed she is 
we all watch 
we discern her wonder 
how much we know how much she sees and doesn't yet see 
what's that like--the taunt stretch of smoothness over bones 
the upright movement so deliberate & designed 
what is the objective to her days 
where does delight lie 
I think she is sad yet oddly content with that 
oh!  how she does take note of changes in our song 
in the color of morning 
in the approach of the coming storm 
this one spring dawn 

I think she would like my feathers 
and my freedom