Wednesday, March 9, 2011

sleep in late winter ...











last night i dreamed that dream ..

the dream where we lay
in a large, burled-mahogany four-poster bed
with sheets of baby-yellow-linen
the walls were of this heavy, green stone
dusted with moss
and
the ancient, mullioned window was
open
your mother
brought us breakfast
of fruits & breads
in a basket
she was delightful & wore her chestnut hair pulled up
into a red blossom
she wore a white dress
we were young, yet strangely ... old
we were joyously happy
it was spring
and we smelled of soap & midnight
i don't recall your mother much
and this past winter may have been her last ...
but would she have fed me breakfast in bed ??
would she have liked me ?
kisses. open.  
sparkling wonder laced with
sunshine & want ....
open rumbled yellow morning joy

4 comments:

  1. I love it! Beautiful imagery & I think that I have had a similar dream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhhhh that's interesting Melanie
    .... figured it was some ancient arch-type myth nipping at the heels of my subconscious :) !!! apparently - it's nipping at yours also !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know her? Her passing was peaceful and serene. She liked anyone who liked her. And yes she would have liked you... but you knew that didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this dream about a month previous to it's being written . it took a month before I could even come close to describing it - it was so very real & then, as I played it over & over, I realized she would have liked me. because I loved you .

    ReplyDelete